Wedding Themes – Save Money and Have Fun
Are you looking to save some money on your wedding reception? Instead of continuously shaving down your guest list or compromising in other areas, why not think about using a low-cost theme for you special day? A wedding that fits into a particular theme is often more relaxed than your typical reception, plus it can be a lot of fun for you and your guests! Since there is less pressure to spend excessive sums on extras you simply don’t need, they can end up saving you a bundle.
Reception themes allow people to get creative with their celebration and express themselves – and since this is your special day you have every right to express yourself however you like. People often choose to base their themes on hobbies, personal interests, and dreams. Choosing to go with something like a beach theme, a Mexican fiesta, or a toga party (for a really wild and unique example) is simple – and the food is cheap and easy – but it won’t deviate from a great time for you and your guests; everyone is sure to have fun at your reception no matter what the theme is.
Take a look at some more themes to lessen the cost of your reception:
- Roman Theme: The choices for a Roman theme vary. Togas are almost always a part of the festivities. Serving fresh fruits like grapes and apples, not only provide a healthy alternative to the usually calorie heavy meals at weddings, but they also keep with the typical Roman diet. Try serving fresh rotisserie meat and cold cuts – they are great with this theme too. You can generally serve beer and wine; and are able to decorate with wreathes, garland, candles, and anything else in the Roman fashion.
- Fairy Wonderland: To go with this theme, you could use fairy wings, have sheer fabric draped around you, decorate with baby’s breath, and moss. This theme lets the bride bring her childhood dreams to life (although, not so much for the groom). Try serving fine breads and appetizers.
- Ethnic Traditions: This theme requires some research in order to choose specialty foods and decorations to match the ethnicity of your choice. For example, if you should choose a Scottish theme, you could have bagpipe players, dress in Scottish fashion (kilts, anyone?) and do all things Scottish.
- Mexican Fiesta: This fun theme can have you hitting a piñata, serving popular Mexican dishes (mmm, guacamole and salsa), utilizing things like Santa Fe decorative blankets, and many other things. Play mariachi music or have Spanish guitars – both would be a hit.
- Arabian Nights: For this theme you can fill your reception hall with beautiful linens and let your bridal party have costumes (if they/you should wish to). You can also serve Middle Eastern food or appetizers. An Arabian Nights theme is very versatile and fun for everyone involved.
- Greek Mythology: If you employ a Greek Mythology theme you are able to gear it towards a particular Greek saga or, more popularly, guests can come dressed as a particular Greek hero. Greek foods are always a favourite, like fresh fruit, wine, and other edibles of ancient Greek decent can be offered.
- Hawaiian: You can use your imagination to create any Hawaiian fantasy that you wish. You can give out fresh leis as wedding favours as each guest arrives at your reception. Serve fresh tropical island fruits such as pineapple, and tropical drinks with decorative umbrellas. Make your guests feel like they have been flown to Hawaii for an all-out luau. Basically, try whatever your mind comes up with. The possibilities are endless!
- Disney: There are so many popular Disney characters that we all remember from our childhood that this theme opens up a world of possibilities. You can choose to focus on a particular character or simply take the entire world of Disney and use it as your theme. This theme is great if there are going to be children at your reception.
- The Wild Wild West: This theme can be as fun as you want. You can set your reception area to look like an old saloon; you could even have a tame burlesque show (many men in attendance would surely appreciate this). This theme allows you to serve easy-to-create entrees, like meatloaf, all the way up to more expensive cuisine like steak. As long as you stick with your theme (i.e. leave out the shrimp cocktail) you will have a great time!
- NASCAR: This theme has a world of possibilities. You can decorate with checkered flags or checkered flag streamers, and toy cards. If you would like, you can decorate with a particular driver motif. The best part of this idea is that it keeps your reception very casual – you can serve regular food like pizza, large submarine sandwiches, hamburgers, even chips and nachos; pretty much any food that you want is acceptable. In general, this relaxed type of theme applies to all sport-related themes. This theme, or any sports theme, is great if there are lots of sports fans in attendance. If there is a big race on the night of your reception you could even have that playing on a large-screen TV.
- Movies: Popular movie themes like The Matrix and The Lord of the Rings can be a lot of fun for receptions when the bride and groom are movie buffs. Decorations will be based on what the general movie symbolizes. For example, if you choose The Matrix, you could use computer data charts and sheets, and computer related equipment for decorations – plus dress all in black. You could serve appetizers rather than entrees for this type of theme too and, in turn, save yourself money. Playing the movie in the background may also be a neat idea.
When it comes to themes, the possibilities are endless; coming up with them can be a large part of the fun. After you have chosen your theme, you can brainstorm ideas to expand upon for the decorations, food, activities, and more!
Ideas generated by: WedThemes.com